What Is Steampunk?
Steampunk is the term for a fictional world of Victorian Science Fiction. Imagine if technology had never advanced beyond steam power? Now mix this with the Victorian aesthetic and fashions of the 19th century.
Are There Steampunk Costuming "Rules?"
No, but there are a few guidelines. In general, think like a Victorian - what materials and fabrics were available in the 19th century? Leather, brass, khaki, cotton, velvet, silk, and linen are good materials to stick to when putting together your costume.
There are no rules for what women can and can't wear - pants, corsets, no corsets, short skirts, striped stockings, no stockings, hats, no hats, you name it, there's nothing proper or improper.
Steampunk sub-genres include: Adventurer/Safari Steampunk, Cowboy/Western Steampunk, Neo-Victorian Steampunk, Goth and Supernatural Steampunk, Steamship/Sea-Faring Steampunk, Air Pirates, Mad Scientists, Military Steampunk, and I'm sure there are many more, so don't feel limited!
Check out these images below for some steamy ideas:
|Via Tumblr - Steampunktower|
|Via Tumblr - Alienskin|
|via Tumblr - BionicUnicorn|
|Goggles always seem to say "Steampunk"|
|Via ResidentsoftheRabbitHole - tumblr|
|Simplicity offers this pattern at your local fabric store|
|Via Tumblr - Steampunksketched|
|Via Tumblr - Claudiablonde|
|Via Tumblr - BionicUnicorn, Etsy.com|
|Via Tumblr - French6|
Elements of a Steampunk Costume
(mix and match - not all or any of these things are "required" but are cool to add on):
|A cool corset - Etsy.com|
|Tophats of any size, with any decoration, including goggles, brass bits, gears, and feathers. This one is from Etsy.com|
|Alternative headgear such as a headband with feathers and gears. Make one yourself, or fin them to buy on Etsy.com|
|Lace cuffs, or leather cuffs, or cuffs with bows. Make them yourself, or find some cool ones on Etsy.com|
|Pocket watches, clocks, and gears - shop Etsy for all of these, or try SteampunkEmporium.com|
- SteampunkEmporium.com - men's and women's costume pieces and complete ensembles.
- Etsy.com - hundreds upon thousands of Steampunk pieces handmade
- PlasticLand.com - women's clothing and accessories with a decidedly steamy twist
- ClockWork Couture - men's and women's clothing and accessories
- Got-Steam Steampunk Emporium - accessories, corsets, jewelry, bits
Local Vendors (Reno area):
- Melting Pot World Emporium - 1049 S. Virginia Street, Reno
- Savers (Thrift Store) - 3800 Kietzke Lane, Reno ~or~ 2350 Oddie Blvd, Sparks.
- The Old Red Garter - 80 South C Street, Virginia City
- Junkee's - 960 S. Virginia Street, Reno